Friday afternoon's adventures started with Emma, Han, and I headed out for errands and in search for some deals at the San Lorenzo leather market. We stopped at Paperback Exchange and picked up some textbooks and I got the second book of the Twilight series to read on rainy afternoons. While walking by the Duomo, we stopped in a hat shop and after trying on a few hats, the girls convinced me to buy a black fedora (the first item I've bought that's "made in Firenze!"). I wore it right away and it was absolutely hysterical all of the comments I got! First of all, its not really uncommon to get a "Ciao Bella" about once a day or so here (which means "hello beautiful") but with the hat I got I think 7 or 8 "ciao bella"s, 3 "I like your hat"s (in an italian accent of course) and one "I like your hat, and I like you, too, bella." The San Lorenzo market was definitely a good self-esteem booster! Emma and Han and I just kept joking that the hat was magic :) -- I'll post pictures soon!
So that was the story of my new hat, but I also got new comfortable tennis shoes for super cheap! (I thought they were cheap to begin with but they were even half off at the register!) I also got a purple leather messenger bag to hold my big camera and all the accessories for it (which I wanted to bring on the day trip to Siena). Emma also found a super cute new coat, mustard yellow and last one and of course it was her size! We also found a really nummy panini place to eat so it was a good day. (Ignorant American Alert: "panini" is actually the plural of "panino" which just means "sandwich" in Italian.)
After the market, we hit up the chocolate festival again. I added a few more pictures because it was really fun to see all the things they make out of chocolate!
A better picture of the church of Santa Croce behind the festival.
We made the girls try the strawberries with chocolate drizzled over them, so good!
(Leah, left, and Katie, right, live below us. Middle is Emily, one of my roommates)
Basically chocolate lollipops (Lecca-lecca cioccolato)
This is where I got my chocolate. I got one of the boxes and got to pick and choose any chocolates I wanted from this really gorgeous Italian Stallion! (Dad, is it ok if I marry a chocolatier instead of a vineyard owner?)
Little animals were popular chocolate items. So were eggs! See them in the top left? So weird.
It was very hard to choose which chocolate items to try since its hard to figure out what's inside them when its in Italian! We had hot chocolate though, which is much different here. Very thick, basically just melted chocolate. Kinda gross and I can never drink very much of it. I also got and tried my very first cannoli! We were so tired after our afternoon/evening of walking that we just went home and crashed because we had to get up at 7:00am today!
Which will lead into my next blog....
No comments:
Post a Comment