Monday, January 19, 2009

First full day of classes...

Ok. I have woken up before 8AM six out of the seven days I've been here.... wth?!? Mom says I'm on an "adult" schedule now. Dang. Anyways. Went to school and got signed up for three more classes to try and figure out which one would be best to take. Went to design of the coordinated image first at 9:30am and love my professor! His name is Fadi and he's originally from Lebanon but looks very Italian and is fluent in both english and italian. He teaches in english which is great. Lots of international students, even though there's only 11 of us, a few from Sweden, one from India, one from Mexico, and only one who doesn't speak english (from Italy). He's very accommodating for me and the other Arcadia student, as I told him I needed this class to transfer back home and he told me to get a list of all the projects I need and he'll work with me to get them done. I have DofCI (design of coordinated image) only once a week for three hours, which is like all classes besides italian which is every day. I had italian right after DofCI. Then my original schedule had me down for Photographing Florence but I skipped that to check out a web design class to see if that was something that I'd want to take instead. Well, first of all the professor looked exactly like Liev Schreiber with shaggy hair, second of all, I was the only one who didn't understand Italian and that's all he spoke, besides when he asked me if I understood Italiand and when I said no it didn't seem to phase him, and third of all, it turned out to be more of a 3D rendering course instead of web design and I would've had to get a whole new program and download the windows operating system on my mac (?!?). Three strikes and that class is out! Yay for photographing florence! I have three of my roommates in P.F. as well so it should be fun. They said the teacher is great. I think I might try for my fifth class to be an art history class in which they take you all over to museums and stuff in Florence. My roommate Emma is taking it so I'll probably sit it on that tomorrow morning (even though I have two others to check out at the same time!). We'll see. Clearly my scheduling is a bit screwy at the moment but as my administrator Barbara puts it I should just "shop around" this week to see which classes I wanna take. 

It was rainy again today, which I don't mind considering it could be snow if I was at home, and let me tell you, it does not stop the scooter-ers! I saw the greatest thing today, a scooter with a driver and a passenger, and the passenger was holding an umbrella over both their heads!! and they were still going like 40 mph! Gladice definitely wouldn't be able to handle the Italian scooting. She'd be even more ghetto over here than she is over there! And she wouldn't be able to keep up with the speeds. I still cant get over how fast the cars drive. I don't think there's a speed limit in town, cars literally go like 50 mph sometimes! After class I went and got some folders to hold the crazy size paper over here--its less wide and taller than 8.5x11. Its like 8.25x12. And then on the way home I stopped and picked up two smaller purses from Italian H&M (on sale!) which I've been looking for. Next thing I need is a lighter jacket! Its been in the mid-40s, low-50s here. I've just been chillin with the roomies in the apartment since I got back a little after six, we all seem pretty tired after classes all day, I should probably get some homework done (italian) before bed.

Oh and as far as mail goes, I figured it out today, so if anyone wants to write me a letter ( heehee :) !!) you can mail it to:

Accademia Italiana
Whitney Bestor
Piazza Pitti 15
50125 Firenze, Italy

And I got a cell phone, and to call it the number (with the country codes and everything) is: 

011.39.335.714.6939

It doesn't cost me anything to receive calls or texts here but it costs me .30cent€ per minute to call or per text. Just so you know!

Thats all for now I think. Happy Monday!
P.S. I love getting comments from you guys, fyi--hint hint! :) 

6 comments:

Kyra Jo said...

i love getting comments on my blog too whit! although there is less to comment on with my blog... still its fun!
so i just got done reading the book "playing for pizza" by john grissom (i know im a nerd- erik got me reading lots) and its set in parma, italy, and he (an american football player traveling there) talks about scooter riding, all the food, etc so its fun to hear you talk about it too!
the end : )
LOVE!
-cousin kya

Anonymous said...

Whit - I am so thrilled for you! What an incredible opportunity! Keep writing. I enjoy "seeing" the world through your blog. :)

mama/auntie dacia said...

I knew you'd love Italy when all they want you to do is SHOP! (shop classes, shop while you walk, shop for trips, shop for gelato...shop for men???Rich, Italian men with Vineyards?) Hope your dad isn't reading:)
Keep on shopping....I'm missing you lots so I think I'll go shopping and think of you!!! Amilo figglia! Mama Dacia

Anonymous said...

I LOVED taking the walk to school with you - everything is sure packed in!! I think Walter would like it here - wouldn't do well in SNOW tho. I suppose you will get more busy with school work now that classes have actually started.
You'll get your ducks in a row - no doubt. Love Ya -

Jana said...

Okay, so I was just watching House Hunters on the HGTV (Home and Graden TV) channel and tonight's episode was about a couple looking for Real Estate in Rome! The guy was a cute Italian and the lady was American... she was studying abroad and met him her last week of being there, however they fell in love and she continued her life with him in Italy. ANYWAY, set all that aside, I got to see what some house\apt type things look like in Rome... washer\dryers in the kitchen?!?!? Hello - thats what a laundry room is for! :) LOVE

Jana said...

p.s. do you have enough "bortega" space? I learned an Italian word from the show, too - so smart! :)