Saturday, January 24, 2009

Day Trip to Siena and San Gimignano

So today we went on our first day trip put on by Arcadia, the program I'm enrolled at Accademia Italiana through. We get two day trips and two overnight trips throughout the semester. We met at the bus at 9:00am this morning and went to Siena and then San Gimignano. This post is mostly pictures because we basically just walked around these two towns. When I uploaded these pictures, they showed up in reverse order but it takes forever to fix so I'm leaving them as is, you can start from the bottom and work your way up!

On the bus on the way home. Long day. We were like wet dogs by the end of it. Did I mention the bus was a double decker bus? We were on top. Great views.
The big steps in Siena, part of the two-stops.
Ok this picture is really out of place, but this is a tiny door in Siena that we thought was so funny... Han had to take the picture because she's 4'9" and we didn't think the door would look so small with her next to it :)

Now I know this picture is blurry but it was priceless... these were five little old italian guys sitting under an archway just watching everyone go by!
At least we got to go downhill on the way back to the bus.
Some italian countryside? Seen from above at San Gimignano.
San Gimignano is way up on top of a hill, hence, climbing more hills, but a fun and cute little strip.
Han, me, Emma, and Hannah before boarding the bus to go to San Gimignano (jee-mon-yawn-oh). Like I said, cool umbrella shots.
Heading back to the bus... apparently I'm liking the color purple. See my new hat?!
A view of Siena.
It rained on and off all day... which was kind of a downer, but we got some fun umbrella shots! This is Han, Emma, and Hannah, three of my roommates, on some killer stairs in Siena (it was a two-stopper so we took pictures!).
Remember before how I told you dogs go everywhere?!? This was at the restaurant we ate at in Siena. See the little guy sitting in the child high chair at the head of the table?!?! Insane!
This is called pici, its kind of a sienese dish, that is homemade thick spaghetti noodles. It was very good! I also had my first white wine of the trip here, also delish! And did I mention tiramisu?!?
This is the duomo of Siena, which I found out actually means cathedral instead of dome, where there is actually a pulpit inside that we just learned about in my Michelangelo class. 
This piazza, or square, of Siena is actually replicated at a University in Seattle (U of Washington maybe??). This piazza is pretty much at the bottom of every hill in Siena, and they have a very famous/popular horse race around this piazza in the summer when the 17 different neighborhoods compete. 
Climbing up a ridiculously steep hill. I guess this is why Italians eat so many carbs, they just burn it off walking the streets of their city!
Siena is built on top of three hills, so there was a lot of uphills and downhills. You can kind of see in this picture how the right side is going down and the left is going up.
This is the Dominica church of Santa Caterina (I think I spelled it right?!?) who is a very popular religious figure for Siena. This church was beautiful inside but unfortunately we aren't allowed to take pictures in churches.


So that was Siena and San Gimignano in a nutshell. You can visit the full albums by clicking the links on the top right box of my blog! I also posted pictures of the apartment, kind of boring but you can see where I'm living! I should really go to bed now.... buona notte!

1 comment:

Kyra Jo said...

WHIT
i totally understand your frustration of putting the pictures up and they reverse order or they delete sometimes or they have giant spaces.... ohhhh the blogging troubles we go through :)
LOVE YA