Thursday, January 15, 2009

First day of classes... part one

Buon Giorno everyone! Today is the first day of classes, its only around noon here though so I'm actually in between classes so I'll probably write more tonight after we get our internet hooked up in the apartment!! (our landlord Franscesco says he's coming tonight at 7:00)

Yesterday after orientation, me and my roommates went out to get cellphones, we skipped our walking tour since we live near everything they were going to show. We had our first sit down meal at a caffe, I had cannelloni? It was the big hollow pasta with spinach and ricotta inside. Very very nummy. Then we went and walked all over to check out two different cell phone stores. The one I got allows me to call the US for .30cent€ per minute, so the first call I made was to my hairy godmothers at the shop--Nama sounded like she was about to cry when I said "hey nama!", it was so cute! I don't know my number at the moment, I left that at the apt., but I'll email that out as soon as I can. It doesn't cost me anything to receive texts or phone calls so feel free! I crashed super early last night, and got 10 hours of sleep to hopefully get rid of this wretched cold and finally get caught up on jet lag. Did I mention that I have been up before 8:30 every day since I've been here?!?! crazy huh! This morning we were at school about eight for the first day of classes and we had to turn in forms for the permit to stay in italy. Then I went to my 3D: animation class only to find out I've taken two just like it back at the U so I'll be finding a different class to take. I start italian class at 12:30 and I'll be done for the day at 2:30.

Things I have learned so far about Italy:

•Time is on 24hrs. 7:00pm is actually 19:00. Very hard to do the math sometimes!
•Decimals aren't used, comma's are. So when something says 12,50€ it means 12.50. The commas make some things look really expensive if you know what I mean!! 
•Cars are so tiny! If they aren't tiny, they're skinny! And they don't look out for you so you best look out for them! (I'll be taking lots of pictures of cars because they make me giggle)
•Stores basically will have whatever hours they want to have. They may be closed certain days just because. 
•Restaurants here will charge you to sit down at a table, but its usually only like 1.00€-3.00€ per person and you don't tip here. ever. to anyone.
•White wine is very hard to come by, besides perseco. I guess they're made differently and Florentines think red wine is more pure. So I guess I'll be getting use to red wine! which is fine since I haven't had any wine that I don't like yet! They did say on the coasts you can usually find more white wine, and also when its warmer out they drink more white wine.
•Speaking of wine, I learned how to hold your glass: hold it by the stem because otherwise you leave fingerprints on the glass which is rude.

That'll be about it for now, I'll probably write more as I think about it later tonight, if we get our internet hooked up! I have to run to Italian class now so I can learn to speak to the locals!

Miss you all! Happy Thursday!

2 comments:

Jen Arneson said...

Sounds like you're settling in and learning the ropes! the 24 hour thing is definitely an adjustment, but it's kind of like learning a language, first you have to translate in your head all the time and eventually you just know that 22:00 is 10pm!

I think I might need to dig out my purse I bought at a market in Firenze in honor of you being there.

Also - when I was studying in France I also had a very strange change in my sleep schedule...like I actually got up when my alarm went off in the morning. Very strange - fell right back into the old habits when I came back home! Haha.

Take care :)

mama/auntie dacia said...

So proud of all of your settling in to-do's! You will soon feel like you can sit back and plan the rest of the days that lie ahead. So much to take in at once! I fixed Blair penne pasta and marinara sauce today in your honor! Keep on blogging...your notes are very interesting and fun! amilo. mama