Tuesday, April 28, 2009

End of the Semester Stresses...

"European Union advises not to travel to U.S."
(because of the Swine Flu)

Well looks like I won't be able to come home afterall.... with my luck, within the next 18 days travel to the U.S. will be banned?!? Wouldn't that be fun?!? What are you Americans messin around with pigs for? ;) Although I am very proud of the Midwest for no confirmed cases yet... and don't we have most of the pigs?! I'll be sure to wrap a scarf around my face when I fly into New York... I'm keeping my fingers crossed that I'll be able to make it there! Onto a lighter topic?

This blog update will be pretty boring... I was sick with a sinus infection all last week so was in bed most of the week. I came down with it on Sunday and it got worse Monday and Tuesday (I didn't make it to classes) so I went to the doctor on Tuesday. It resembled a lot of what I had when I left the states, and the doctor gave me 3 prescriptions to hopefully help. I did 6 days of antibiotics and also went to the beach to "bake" it out of me on Saturday, and I finally started feeling much better Saturday night and Sunday. My sinuses feel better now and all I have are a few sniffles and the occasional cough so hopefully I'm nearing the end. Did I win the "who can stay sick the longest" contest mom? 

Like I said, Saturday I went to Viareggio again with my roommates Emily and Hannah. We just went for a few hours to lay on the beach, which was lovely--lots of sun, but perfect breeze. Then we got back around 7:30 and Han and I went to an Italian Opera, La Boheme. The music/voices were awesome, however the venue really sucked. We were expecting at least an "opera house" feel but it was very much community theatre/auditorium/lecture hall. Bummer. BUT it was really interesting to see this opera because I realized that the musical Rent must have some basis from it! The leading lady was Mimi, and there was a "will you light my candle" scene, and she dies at the end from something.... I'm sure there was more but it was all in Italian and I didn't understand a lick of it. Haha. But I can cross "seeing an Italian Opera" off my list of things to do. :) Sunday was rainy, but there were a lot of markets going on that Michael and I went to. We hit up the old antique/flea market like one that's only the last Sunday of every month that I went to early on in the semester, then we went to a mostly food one at Santa Croce, then went to a huge art festival at Fortezza de Basso (a Fort) that was kinda a long walk and we paid €5 to get in, but it was way worth it. They had like 9 buildings full of stuff including art galleries, art and crafty like things, as well as food and an international bazaar and others.. We spent about 2 1/2 hrs there. Good rainy day activity. 

So as for now, I'm just working on a lot of school stuff. I have my italian final tomorrow and then a little par-tay! on thursday and then I'm done with Italian class which will be super nice. But I have a lot of stuff going on for graphic design that's bogging me down, can't wait for those classes to be done with too (next week!). So other than sitting on my computer doing design stuff, I haven't been doing too much super fun cultural things. 

Only 18 days til I come home... I'm so excited to see everyone! Can you tell!?!

4 comments:

GREAT Aunt Lani said...

We are excited to see you for real! Bill says 'swine flu is no big deal there were more people to die from the other flu last year" So keep washing your hands and cover your mouth when you cough! GREAT Aunt Lani

Anonymous said...

Good advice from THE NURSE - wash/wash. Had lunch w/Blair at the U yesterday (by accident)- rode the connector & really got a feel of the huge campus!! FFA convention & Derek retired from state president- speech and all at Northrup. He did good -
Auntie Letta was waiting to HEAR from you so glad you updated the blog for all of us to be assured that you are ok and busy with school. Anxious for you to be HOME and get real hugs -

mama/auntie dacia said...

Are you sure you don't have that nasty proscutto flu that is spreading all over Italy? Your mom thinks that you should come home as soon as you are "cured"! Love you sweetie and hope you are feeling better. See you soon.

Jana said...

Hey Whit!
Thanks for the postcard! What a fun surprise! I love getting REAL mail, usually it's just bills and junk mail. It'll be great to have you home soon! Enjoy your last few days! Love, favorite cousin Jana and your dogchildren! :)