Monday, May 11, 2009

Last Week in Florence!!

Hey guys! Just wanted to type up a quick update, I've been really busy lately. Last week I didn't do a whole lot. I went out for "cinque di maggio" (cinco de mayo) with some friends and had a good time, but nightlife starts so late here we really celebrated "sei (6) di maggio". I worked a lot on projects last week, since my design classes ended. And on Friday, Han and I headed out to Paris again! Yay! We had both already been there once, but this time the sole purpose was to go see Monet's Garden. (When mom was here, the gardens weren't open yet.) We flew in on Friday night and when we asked the receptionist at our hostel the best way to get there, she looked for trains and found out there were NONE listed online. So they told us to go to the train station and ask there. We got up early on Saturday morning and went to the train station, only to find out that Saturday was the one day they decided to work on the tracks! WTH!?! If we wanted to get there, we would have to take a train to a bus, to another train, with less than 10 minutes each connection time, and the only train that came back wouldn't get us back to paris until midnight! So we decided to go on a bus tour with ParisVision, that mom and I had used last time. Luckily, they had seats left, we paid a little more than we wanted to but hey! WE MADE IT!Everyone, I'd like you to meet Monet's Garden, who I've dreamed of meeting since I was 8 years old. Talk about Deja Vu!
Yes he lived in a pink house, and just look at the cute old people! We were the youngest on our tour by at least 20 years I'd say! But Han and I can act like old people really well... except when it comes to sticking to a schedule, apparently most older people show up early to a scheduled bus departure. We were ON TIME but they were waiting for us :(
This is me with the waterlily pond behind me, and the purple flowers you see in the background is the japanese bridge!

AND.... I took someone with me! Mama Dacia was really bummed that she couldn't take me to Monet's Garden as she always promised, so Flat Mama Dacia hung out in my pocket all day! (I know she's not as pretty as Flat Nama or the Flat Sistas or the Flat Cousins, but she's hand drawn with love!)

And... Most of you may not know this, but Monet's Garden has a cartoon character, and her name is Linnea. I still have my Linnea dolls and books from when I was 7 or 8 that Grandma Sally and Aunt Deb introduced me to. SO I decided to dress like her for my big day! (except I didn't have a white jumper, so I just switched it up a bit, but I wore the leggings!) Han thought I was funny...

It was such an awesome trip. Fulfilling a 13 year long dream was so amazing! Because we took the bus trip, Han and I also had the morning to go to Sacred Heart (a church) and the Montemartre cemetary that was literally a block and a half away from the hotel mom and I stayed in. Jeni told us that the cemetaries are cool, but we never got time, and I'm so glad we went cuz it was sweet! I also LOVE the neighborhoods of Montemartre. So great. I took plenty more pictures, so I'll show you all when I get home... IN FIVE DAYS!

I can't believe its my last week in Florence! I have so much I want to do still and so little time to do it! Just one final left on Thursday, and a project due for that class as well, and then I come home! Can't wait to see everyone, counting down the days!!!

5 comments:

GREAT Aunt Lani said...

Awesome pictures! Have a great time finishing your "tour of duty" and we will see you Sunday! Love, GREAT Aunt Lani

Anonymous said...

Dreams DO come true - your hard work has paid off. Where there's a will there's a way - just like you did finding transportation when you were there. That would have been heartbreaking if you were so close and couldn't have gotten to see it. Congrats - See You Soon - Luv N Stuff

Jana said...

Congratulations, Wee! Glad your lifelong dream was fulfilled - how lucky to be able to do all that at such a young age, too. I am definitely jealous of Monet's PINK house, omg, do you think he'd sell it to me? I think he's like 80 years old dead... not a bad thought though! :) Anyway, have safe travels back home and can't wait to see you Sunday!

Dana K said...

Do you always get what you want?!?!? Good for you - I like your determination! Your pictures of the gardens look so perfect - it looks like you are standing in front of the paintings! I wish Monet could come and do something with my "garden"!?! See you soon and don't forget to bring ALL those pictures home with you! (and I do want to know the total count - you can tell me in confidence!) See you SOON!!!!!

mama/auntie dacia said...

Well, this comment parade is quite sober at the moment! Are we trying to keep it dignified being we are around the French? Where's the Gleisner pride when nobody has commented on my lack of color in my flat side??? Not that I'm complaining but she is a design major???? Oh, were you too busy looking at the beautiful scenery...me too:)What a day! You made Linnea proud! Thanks for taking me along...for real! 3-D mama
post wee-wee(that's french for scrotum): see you soon! Can you smell the burgers?